Making a Choice of Exposed Aggregate Concrete
Exposed aggregate concrete can be compared to a piece of marble or granite. The beauty of a surface is exposed when homeowners opt for this type of concrete. You can think of achieving an effect which is spectacular with this choice and that too, at a reasonable cost. This can be used in driveways, sidewalks or patios not only in a home but also for a commercial outlet. These surfaces comprise of smooth pebbles or stones, depending on the preference of the homeowner.
Factors Deciding on Exposed Aggregate Concrete:
Before opting for a specific exposed aggregate concrete, you need to make up your mind on certain factors.
- You need to decide on where you intend using this. Is it for your internal floors, pool area, sidewalk, driveway or patio? This works out an apt choice wherever you need to place this.
- Think and plan out the color which can blend well with the existing décor, be it in the exteriors or the interiors. This does take some time as you have multiple options available in colors and finishes in the exposed aggregate concrete.
Price of the Project:
The cost of the project depends on some factors which include the charges by the supplier. This also depends on the type of aggregate chosen as there are different choices with different prices. Besides this, you need to consider the transportation and the labor charges also. The other factors which can determine the cost is the requirement of demolishing the existing structure, level of the area and access to the area.
Reasons for Opting Exposed Aggregate Concrete:
You need to understand the benefits of using this concrete before you go ahead and plan your project. This can work as a convincing factor for your requirement.
- Durable Option: As compared to the old-style concrete, exposed aggregate concrete is more durable and thus a preferred choice for many homeowners.
- Resistant to Traffic: As this aggregate concrete is made of pebbles and stones it works out as an ideal option for all the walking and driving done on patios, sidewalks or driveways.
- Maintenance: There is no specific maintenance required for this exposed aggregate concrete, except a regular sealing after a period of five years. A little bit of cleaning can make this a choice which is durable for up to nearly 10 years.
- Safe Option: Being slip resistant the exposed aggregate concrete is considered as a safe option for all type of homes and offices.
- Customization: With a wide choice in colors and styles you can opt for a contractor who is willing to customize this in accordance to your requirements.
- Aggregate in Concrete: You need to be aware that the aggregate used in concrete can make a difference to the cost, grade and moisture content in concrete. You can think of saving some money by using the maximum size of the aggregate allowed. Large aggregate used can bring down the cost of concrete.
- Aggregate Proportions: Aggregate is almost 60 to 80% of a concrete mix. This means the selection needs to be done with care and caution. The right proportion used can increase the durability and quality of the mix.
- Choosing Contractors: Search for contractors who are trustworthy and reliable, as this make a difference to the quality of the exposed aggregate concrete and the service provided. You need to ensure the quality factor as this leads to longevity and durability of the concrete used.
The work should be handled only by experienced professionals so that you have a beautiful driveway or patio which is functional and durable too. Conducting an online search is one convenient way to go about your search.