One of the three important aspects of life. The other three are food, shelter, and clothing. Water assumes prime importance as the human body is made up of eighty percent water. In fact, it is one of the main reasons for living forms to exist on earth. The globe is surrounded by nearly more than 70 percent of water. Out of the 70 percent, only three to four percent is fit for human consumption in present times.
There has been a rapid misuse of water bodies in developing countries such as India. Coupled with the growing population, development of industries and national economy, environmental degradation has happened on a large scale. In such situations, it has become mandatory to install a water purifier. Now shall we go into the details?
The water received in your home, if you stay in India comes from Government bodies. The water is first purified through a variety of process and then sent to your home. In the purification process, organic and inorganic materials as well chemical compounds get removed from the water. Some of the processes involve distillation and deionization.
Process of Purification
- The Government bodies receive the water from a natural resource, purify it before sending to the households.
- In the course of pretreatment, contaminants and chemicals get removed.
- The initial stage is screening, and removal of large debris, for example, trash and stick are eliminated.
- This process is used only when treating water from lakes and rivers.
- In recent times, surface water poses a larger health risk as many slums and industries empty their wastes in the natural water resource.
- There are chances that the process may also include the addition of chemicals such as chlorine in tanks and pipes (prechlorination).
- The Government agencies also follow the process of sand filtration, where suspended particles get settled at the storage tank bottom.
- There are areas which have high mineral content. For this type, the process is hard water treatment.
- Soda ash or sodium carbonate is used to eliminate calcium carbonate.
- The reason for the removal of calcium carbonate is because during winter it can clog the interior of the pipes.
- When altered, it not only becomes soft water but can also be consumed by humans.
- Chlorination was the step followed to disinfect wells and other small water resources two decades ago. But now the practice is in question.
- There have been reports of the chemical giving rise to stomach as well as bladder cancer.
Other than the above-mentioned methods, you can also find coagulation (chemicals are added so that small particles become clumped to a large particle). Then there is the other process of flocculation, where large particles settle at the bottom of the basin or tanks.
- Next comes the sedimentation basin, where waters are moved via the purification process and the remaining particles settle in the bottom.
- Then the water is moved to the filtration process, where every suspended particle, microorganisms and algae get removed. Next comes the process of purification.
- By usage of disinfectant chemicals, microbes such as protozoa, virus, and bacteria get killed. Usually, chlorine is used in the form of chlorine dioxide or chloramines.
- Since then, there has been a hue and cry over the use of chlorine, many water treatment plants make use of hydrogen peroxide, ultraviolet radiation, and ozone as a substitute for chlorine.
However, there are many areas even in India such as remote villages, where water treatment is not available. In these situations, the residents can make use of boiling the water, distillation, carbon filtering, reverse osmosis and other methods.
As per Water.org, there are more than 8.4 lakh people who die annually – the reason water-related diseases. So what are the simple effective benefits of using a water purifier?
Your chance of getting cancer is almost reduced
- When the practice of using chlorine was started two decades ago, it was hailed as the cheapest method to purify water. However, research in recent times showed otherwise.
- There exist more chances of cancer risk in people who drink chlorinated water.
- But when you use a water purifier, the content gets relieved of chlorine as well the harmful chemicals.
- You also get prevention from other types of cancer such as bladder, colon and rectal.
- You may not be a millionaire, nor a poor person, but that does not mean buying a bottled water every time.
- Water has become expensive in some parts of India including Bangalore.
- A liter of water costs Rs 20 and it is only half the price of milk.
- However, what guarantee is given that the bottled water is pure and clean of chemicals or other disease-causing organisms?
- With a water purifier can you feel safe and relieved that your family stays in the best of health.
Another important factor, you are using is saving the environment. A bottled drinking water adds up to the plastic waste. In a water filter, you do not have to worry about plastic and environmental degradation.
Shall we move onto the chemicals found in water?
Now we move onto the chemicals in the water which can lead to health problems –
The water received from Government bodies usually has chloramine and chlorine. No, they are not your enemies. It is just they disinfected the entire water by using the chlorine. Agreed, the chemical eliminates microorganisms, but there are dangers of problems such as rectal and bladder cancer.
This chemical is prepared by addition of ammonia and chlorine. However, unlike chlorine, the chemical does not get dissolved. On consumption, the water will react with the digestive system. This chemical is related to the problems of kidney, liver, bladder and nervous system. So it is very useful to make use of a water purifier when you get water related to chloramine from Government bodies.
A small amount of fluoride is extremely beneficial for health of the oral systems. But a large amount can lead to gum disease, cancer, bone diseases and thyroid dysfunction. In children, it can lead to fluorosis.
You have heard this chemical only in the movies. Arsenic poisoning can lead to slow death. The first part, it attacks is the metabolism. It can also lead to night blindness, diabetes and heart diseases. In India, it is noticed that States such as West Bengal and Assam contain the highest level of arsenic in groundwater.
5. Pesticides/Pharmaceuticals/Heavy Metals
Depending on the area, the water may contain heavy metals as well pesticides. So, installation of water purifier can help remove these impurities.
Benefits of a Water Purifier
- When you drink clean water, your body stays in the healthy mode.
- There is a proverb – You are as you eat and drink. In recent times, even in urban cities such as Bangalore, even technology innovation is at its peak, it is difficult to get pure water.
- The reason, lakes such as Bellandur are polluted.
- By using a proper RO water purifier, you can cut down the pollutants entering your body. You can stay in the best of health.
But being a smart guy, you have already installed water purifier in your house. That was half a decade ago. It shows signs of repair. Now, where will you search for the best technician for water purifier service in Bangalore? You do not have to depend on referrals nor on established website listings. You can just download the app of the best home services company who offer doorstep services in Bangalore for the best handyman professionals. You download the app, install it on the mobile and then book a service as per your convenience. Before the scheduled date, you will receive a call to confirm the booking and to know the type of repair. On a concerned day, the technician will come and make the appliance get back to normal.